Cut down on litter box odor with a low ash cat food.
There are a couple of contributing factors to a stinky litter box. One reason is, well… that’s where your cat does its business, Duh. But another factor is actually due to the ash content found in the cat food we choose.
Ash is a mineral your cat needs as part of a healthy diet. In the wild, cats gnaw on bones and vegetables to get this essential mineral. Conveniently for us, it’s already added to cat food and listed on the label. But did you know this essential mineral can also contribute to a very stinky litter box?
Cats have a daily requirement of about 2% ash to maintain their proper health yet some cat foods can contain up to 9%. This isn’t a problem for them but it could be a big stinky problem for the litter box!
If you want to cut down on the odor emitting from your cat’s litter box, look for a food with an ash content at 5% or less. Your nose will thank you!
Here are a few cat food products with less than 5% ash content:
- Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Recipe
- Purina ONE Natural Dry Cat Food
- Hill's Science Diet Indoor Dry Cat Food
- Iams Proactive Health Adult Indoor Weight & Hairball Care Dry Cat Food
- Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Cat Food
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Cat Food
- Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
- Nutro Wholesome Essentials Indoor Dry Cat Food
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Dry Cat Food
Please note that this is not a comprehensive list and there may be other cat food products with less than 5% ash content available on the market. It is always best to check the ingredient list and nutritional information on the packaging of the cat food before making a purchase to ensure that it is suitable for your cat's needs and dietary restrictions.